Seven-time Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher is still in a critical condition after his skiing accident on Sunday morning.
The surgeon at Grenoble University Hospital Center, where Schumacher is being treated said: “He is fighting for his life, we judge him to be in a very serious condition, we cannot tell you what the outcome will be yet.
“He was the victim of very serious trauma. He was very agitated when he arrived and we decided he was in a critical situation and he quickly went into a coma.”
The former F1 driver is currently in an artificial coma after having surgery on the right side of his head, “he is still in a coma and will be kept in a coma. Everything that has needed to be done is being done.
“He is undergoing some treatments which are limiting the damage to his brain and we are trying to release pressure in his head. He situation is critical.”
The surgeon also said that Schumacher’s life was potentially saved by the helmet he was wearing, “without the helmet he wouldn’t be here now.”
A spokesperson at the hospital confirmed that his family are by his bedside and that the hospital was unwilling to give any further medical prognosis.
Lewis Hamilton has released his first song called ‘Say Goodbye’ on the website SoundCloud. The song has accompanying vocals from US signer Ana Lou, however the song has since been taken down from the website.
Hamilton has long talked of his love and passion for music and started writing and recording songs a couple of years ago. Last year R&B singer Angel confirmed that he was working with Lewis producing music.
Hamilton’s seemingly heavily auto-tuned vocals can be heard on the track for two versus and a chorus.
It is not known whether Lewis is trying to ply into this particular trade professionally, despite previously saying music producing was just a hobby of his and music writing and producing was just for fun.
The British world champion is currently spending his winter preparing for the 2014 season in the mountains of Colorado, USA.
Sauber have confirmed that Esteban Gutierrez will stay at the team for the 2014 season.
In a late announcement on Saturday, the Sauber team announced the 22-year-old Mexican will partner up with German driver Adrian Sutil for next season. The Swiss teams sponsorship deal with Mexican telecommunications company Telmex will also continue next year.
Despite Gutierrez’s only points of the season coming from his seventh place at the Japanese Grand Prix, Team Principal Monisha Kaltenborn said the rookie deserves another chance: “Last season he experienced first-hand how hard it can be for a rookie to step into Formula 1.
“Nevertheless, throughout the season he improved significantly in qualifying as well as in the races and finished the season as the best rookie in the drivers’ championship.
“Often the results didn’t fully reflect his performances. I am confident Esteban will be able to use his experiences to gain results.”
Gutierrez said: “It was a steep learning curve last season, but by working closely with the team I was able to improve continuously. It will be my fourth year with the team, the second as a racing driver, and I feel comfortable in taking the next step.”
The news comes after a couple of week of speculation with regards to Gutierrez’s future. The young Mexican rookie had been looking around the Caterham and Marussia team factory in early December.
Sauber also announced that 18-year-old Russian driver Sergey Sirotkin will become a test driver for the team, as they look to develop his skills to become a future F1 driver. Given his lack of experience in top machinery, the Sauber deemed it too much of a risk to throw the Russian straight in at the deep end.
The Ferrari F1 team have seemingly helped Santa pull his sled around…using their own F1 car.
The Ferrari team used the 2013 F138 to pull around a sled full of presents at the Fiorano Circuit. Driver Marc Gene comes with a fetchingly festive Christmas hat. Take a look for yourselves:
General paddock consensus is that McLaren will announce Samsung at their car launch in January. The announcement was due to go ahead on December 2nd, however the team thought it may be able to generate better publicity fore the brand at the launch.
It follows the announcement by Vodafone at the beginning of the year that they would be withdrawing from the sport. That deal for the title sponsorship and branding on the cars, driver overall and other team merchandise was said to be in the region of $50m per year.
Samsung pulled out of sponsoring the British Superbike team Honda Racing earlier this month which has added fuel to the rumours.
The other leading contender is Procter & Gamble using their Gillette brand. Gillette starting its partnership with Mclaren earlier in 2013 at the Chinese Grand Prix. The companies main focus was on expanding into the Asian market.
Many insiders have said that this deal will be key for Formula One marketing as it will be able to tell where the sport stands after the global financial crisis.
F1 will be considered in ‘good health’ should McLaren’s new sponsor yield a similar return to the partnership with Vodafone. Should the deal fail to impress or impact, then it may well raise some concerns for the sports financial health.
Either way it looks like the future is blue for McLaren.
The Caterham F1 Team have released a YouTube video showing their 2014 chassis going through its crash test.
The FIA crash tests are a compulsory part of a cars formation. It is to ensure safety for the drivers, should a crash at any of the races occur. Before the chassis can pass, it must pass a whole raft of different tests on different areas of the car.
Caterham at the end of the video confirm that their 2014 frontal impact test passed.
Watch the video here: