Hulkenberg Signs for Force India

Nico Hulkenberg has signed a ‘multi-year’ contract to drive with Force India from the 2014 season.

The German driver had an option to sign for the Silverstone-based team which ran out last Sunday, an option he and his manager decided to take up.

He is familiar with the team, having spent the 2011 season with them as a third driver before being promoted to a full time role in 2012. He made a switch to Sauber last year hoping for more podiums and a chance at getting a Ferrari drive alongside Fernando Alonso, however neither occurred and he finds himself back at Force India.

Dr Vijay Mallya and Nico Hulkenberg

Dr Vijay Mallya and Nico Hulkenberg

Team Principal Vijay Mallya said: “I’m delighted to see Nico back with Sahara Force India. When he drove for us in 2012, it became clear Nico was an exceptional talent and he has continued to impress everyone in the paddock with his strong performances this season. Having Nico in our line-up is a real statement of intent and a huge boost for everyone associated with the team. We have high hopes and expectations for 2014 and by signing Nico we have put ourselves in the best position to achieve those objectives and enjoy what could be our most competitive season yet.”

New driver Nico Hülkenberg said: “I am happy to come back to Sahara Force India. The team is aiming high for next year and I believe that the experience I have gained over the years will help us achieve those goals. I genuinely believe we can have a competitive package in 2014. I’ve heard a lot of positive things about the Mercedes engine as well, so I think there is a lot to be excited about for next year. I know this team and I can see their determination; it’s a great bunch of people and we all share the same hunger for success.”

It is thought that Mexican Sergio Perez will be announced as his team mate before the new year. Perez will bring with him €15m in sponsorship money from Mexican telecommunications group Telmex.

This new line up will of course mean that current drivers Adrian Sutil and Paul Di Resta will no longer be with the team. The former is expected to sign with Sauber and it is not yet known where Di Resta will end up, with Indy Car racing in America the most likely option.

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: